Kribu

Kribu

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) - Kami Garcia,  Margaret Stohl I went into this book not really knowing what to expect - I knew it had been hyped at some point, I know there's a movie coming out, but it had kind of passed me by and I'd never actually paid attention to what it was all supposed to be about (except YA, paranormal, romance).

So, I didn't know what to expect, but I did expect it wouldn't be my kind of book. I only bought it because it was a Kindle Daily Deal at one point, and as I was flipping through my unread books yesterday, I figured I should at least give it a go.

And... I actually liked it? Didn't love, didn't go crazy about it, felt it had a lot of problems, some of which would usually make me dislike a book (insta-love, anyone? destined to be together? that stuff?), but it just sucked me in and I enjoyed it. A lot. Because for every thing that was a problem, or should have been a problem (the rampant stereotyping didn't sit well with me, for example, and it would have been nice to see at least some teenage girl characters other than Lena who weren't complete, well, not very nice people), there was so much that just worked for me.

The setting - it felt real. I could feel it. It was a real place, with character.

The pacing - leisurely at times, but I liked that.

The characters - yeah, I could probably say that Ethan didn't come off as a (stereo)typical 16-year-old boy, but I wouldn't go as far as to say he felt completely impossible. There are all sorts of boys, and if the authors felt like going with a gentler, nicer, well-mannered, sensitive sort of boy, I'm not going to complain. And as for the rest of them, I liked having a reasonably wide cast of vivid characters.

Macon Ravenwood - oh, I loved Macon from the first moment he appeared, and that never changed. Oh, Macon. There can never be enough gorgeous, mysterious, powerful, well-dressed older men in YA books for my liking. ~dreamy sigh~

There were things about the way this book ended that I didn't like. Things I didn't like at all. But even so, I am pretty sure that I'm going to give at least the next book in this series a go at some point, although probably not immediately.