Kribu

Kribu

The Darwin Elevator  - Jason M. Hough A space elevator - as an idea, a maybe-semi-realistic, but very much science fiction concept - is something I've been vaguely aware of for a very long time. I haven't actually read a book utilising that idea before - now this may be because I'm relatively unfamiliar with "hard" science fiction (or anything approaching that), but in any case, I loved the premise/concept, and the way it was used in this book.

I wasn't overly keen on the first part of the book, really. The characters were flat and the writing seemed to rely too heavily on clich├ęs. Fortunately the plot intrigued me early on, so I never got any desire to stop reading, and either the writing improved or I just grew accustomed to it, but about halfway through I was actually really curious about where things were headed. The plot was relatively straightforward as such, but having several points of view and a few subthreads running through it kept it interesting, and there were a few twists thrown in that I hadn't quite expected.

All in all, I ended up enjoying The Darwin Elevator a great deal. I'd probably rate it 3.5 stars if half stars existed, but in spite of its issues (and there were those - as said above, characterisation never shined although a few of the main characters got at least some fleshing out later on; there were also aspects about the life down below in Darwin that didn't make a lot of sense, such as why the handful of Immunes weren't higher up in the food chain), I did enjoy it enough to nudge it up to four. And I'm pretty sure I want to read the next book as well.

* ARC of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley. Thanks!