Kribu

Kribu

School Spirits - Rachel Hawkins Hex Hall, the first book in the series School Spirits spins off from, was great fun. I enjoyed the second book in that first trilogy as well, but thought the third one, while still having its moments, was a relatively weak conclusion.

So when I heard about Hex Hall getting a spin-off series, I was both curious and a little cautious, especially as spin-offs in general have a hard time wowing me anyway. And it didn't help that I had a bit of trouble remembering at first who the characters where, whether we'd met them before, and what the setting was.

Fortunately the beginning offered just enough relevant information to get me up to date, without turning into an irritating infodump, and from there on, it was smooth sailing. Not only did I find Izzy as the protagonist likeable, I actually also enjoyed the normal high school setting, and while there was a dreadful moment where I feared we'd be getting a love triangle, I felt the romance aspects were handled well enough and not obnoxiously (also, I liked Dex, which didn't hurt!). And the plot, while rather straightforward, had enough twists to keep me guessing.

It's not the best book I've ever read, but it cheered me up and I'll be looking forward to the next book in the series.

* ARC of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley. Thanks!