Kribu

Kribu

The Mad Scientist's Daughter - Cassandra Rose Clarke This is one of those times I wish Goodreads had an option for half stars, because I'd really want to give this book four and a half stars.

It's not quite five, hence the four.

Anyway. Comments. I'm finding it very difficult to find the words to comment; suffice it to say that I cried, and then I cried some more, and I don't actually cry that often at books. And I cannot say for certain whether it was because the book was so good, or whether it was because it was a book that resonated with me for my own reasons. Either way, it seemed tailor-made for me in many ways (and not so much in other ways, but even those ended up working for me).

Comparisons with Tanith Lee's The Silver Metal Lover are probably inevitable, at least by anyone who has read both - there were just enough similarities in this human-girl-falls-in-love-with-android-man tale to bring it to mind and to justify drawing some parallels. It's a very different story in every way, though, both in the writing style and in the plot, and The Mad Scientist's Daughter stands just fine on its own.

I am in two minds about the episodic nature of this book. On the one hand, I'm not sure it was always a good thing, leaving gaps of many years between chapters, as this did leave Cat, the protagonist, a little distant; on the other hand, I think the style (and the distance) actually worked in its favour at times. It worked for me, I think.

Meh. I suck at this. Commenting on books, that is, especially those that make me think and feel.