Kribu

Kribu

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak The Book Thief was difficult for me to get into at first; I struggled hard for the first 5% or so. Not because of the content but because of the writing, the style.

Once I got used to it, it got easier. I suspect a lot of people will love the writing - it's... Interesting. Quirky. Certainly poetical at times. There were some descriptions, some turns of phrase which even I loved. But overall, I have to admit it never truly worked for me.

Hence the four stars. Not only because of that, though. It's a good book, no doubt about it. I don't think it's a very enjoyable book, and I don't know if it should be (after all, it's about life and death and humanity in Nazi Germany), and it's got plenty of depth and emotion and things to make the reader think, and yes, there were moments and events where I was moved.

On the other hand, I've read and seen and lived through enough that it wasn't exactly eye-opening or made me think or feel something new. Perhaps I'm too old and cynical to appreciate it fully, although as old and cynical as I am, I did end up appreciating it.