Kribu

Kribu

Embrace the Grim Reaper (Grim Reaper Mystery #1) - Judy Clemens When I picked up Embrace the Grim Reaper, I expected it to be a little more... fantasy? urban fantasy? Something like this, from the description.

In actuality, it's pretty much a straightforward mystery, with the occasional appearance of Death (who may or may not be imaginary, although others being able to see him too implies he's not only in Casey's head) being the only supernatural element about it.

Fortunately for me, I like straightforward mysteries. And somehow Embrace the Grim Reaper won me over quite soon. No, it's not perfect; occasionally I had a really hard time suspending my disbelief over some characters' actions and how fast everything happened; many of the supporting characters felt flat; there wasn't enough Death. Not enough Death by far, really, as I came to like him very quickly, even if he didn't actually do much.

One thing I appreciated about this book was the lack of infodumps and bad exposition. Casey's backstory for example was only hinted at, at first; we found out what had happened only in little bits and pieces throughout the book and for me, that worked very well.

I'm already eyeing the next book in this series, so I'll expect I'll be reading more about the adventures of Casey and Death.