Kribu

Kribu

Geek Girl - Holly Smale My actual rating is probably more around 3.5 stars but I'm rounding up as I acknowledge I'm really not in the main target group for this book and most of the things I didn't entirely care for seemed to be of the kind that 14- or 15-year-old readers might have less issue with.

Also, it was just a whole lot of fun. There's always this danger with humour that it might not work - indeed, quite a few "funny" books have fell completely flat for me or worse, I've ended up hated them because if the humour is on the wrong wavelength for the reader, it's not a good thing at all - but the humour in Geek Girl worked for me. I liked Harriet's voice, and when you have humour and a first person narrative, that part "clicking" really helps.

There was a lot of other stuff to like, too - the pacing was good, the plot decent and nicely self-contained, Harriet's relationships with her family and friends were a joy to read (and speaking of a joy to read, it's a relief to read a modern YA book where a girl is allowed to have a girl best friend and a non-evil mother figure! plus I really liked Annabel in particular).

I didn't entirely care for the insta!attraction for Nick (but I acknowledge that teenage girls can and do fall for gorgeous boys randomly and suddenly and in an instant, and Nick seemed like a decent boy), and the very ending (I think this is where my age may be a problem - I'm too old not to feel a bit cynical about teenage idealism), and Wilbur was hovering on the limit between "funny" and "obnoxiously irritating and waaaaaaaay too much of a stereotype", but other than those issues, I didn't really have any complaints.

I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel.