Kribu

Kribu

The Golem's Eye  - Jonathan Stroud I enjoyed The Amulet of Samarkand, the first book in the series, a great deal, so I was expecting the same from The Golem's Eye.

Instead, I got a lot more - where The Amulet of Samarkand was a more straightforward magical adventure, this second book in the trilogy was much more multi-layered. World-building, new characters with interesting stories of their own, many threads (most started in the first book) brought together, plotting and politics... everything I could wish for in a book, really.

It wasn't as funny as the first book (largely because there was less Bartimaeus), but the humour was still there, and I really loved getting Kitty added to the cast of characters - her chapters were much more interesting than Nathaniel's, although Nathaniel (or John Mandrake, as he's now known) continues developing in an interesting, if not entirely positive way.

I'm very much looking forward to the final book in this trilogy; as it is, it's well on its way to becoming one of my favourite book series.