Kribu

Kribu

The Savage Fortress

The Savage Fortress - Sarwat Chadda Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress is one of those fun action-oriented kick-ass fantasy adventures, in a somewhat similar vein as e.g. the Percy Jackson series or the Kane Chronicles, although in the amounts of bloodshed and gore it's more in Skulduggery Pleasant's range (even if not quite as funny or multi-layered in other ways).

I enjoyed it, quite a bit, albeit in a slightly shallow way. Ash, the 13-year-old chubby Indian boy from England, visiting relatives in India, was a good enough main character; very much the "ordinary kid", right down to being supremely stupid at times. (I just had to shake my head several times at his thoughtless actions in early parts of the book, but then, he was a 13-year-old boy, so I'm inclined to think this was realistic as well as needed for the plot to happen.)

The next two books in the series have already been announced, and after what happened towards the end of the book, I'm really quite curious as to how things will go on for Ash now.