Kribu

Kribu

Horizon (The Sharing Knife, #4)

Horizon (The Sharing Knife, #4) - Lois McMaster Bujold A compelling, enrapturing read until the very end and a fitting end to the series. I really did enjoy it a whole lot more than I expected to, given that this is straight fantasy, very heavy on the romance.

So why four stars and not five? A couple of things. Fawn, more than anything else - she was so unfailingly perfect that it got truly tiresome towards the end. A perfect little wifey, never jealous, never envious, saviour of the day more than once with her quick wits, always nice, always good, always supportive... blegh.

And the other thing. I like romance (as much as I like romance at all, which isn't a lot) with a large age gap. I really do. What I don't like is when it's constantly pointed out not just how much younger the younger partner is, but how much more child-like she is. Yes, we get it, Fawn was both very young and small in stature, but by the fourth book, I could really have done without the constant repeated mentions of her "little hand" and "her little fingers" and... gah. At least we were spared graphic descriptions of her chubby little fingers holding Dag's dangly bits, I guess. At least she was written like a young woman and not a child in other ways, but the repetition of "small" and "little"... yeah. Could have done without that.

Other than that, definitely a good, exciting read, with a lot of interesting, fleshed-out characters and some very interesting concepts.