Kribu

Kribu

Something from the Nightside (Nightside Series #1)

Something from the Nightside (Nightside #1) - Simon R. Green Hmm. I wanted to like this book, and it was a quick read, but it's a fairly low three stars... and I can't even put my finger on what didn't do it for me.

The writing, I think; for all that we were constantly, and I mean constantly, reminded how dark and gritty it all was in the Nightside, I didn't really feel it, not even once. I wasn't completely pulled into the story and moments that (probably) should have shocked didn't, because everything was just sort of... mentioned in passing; the narrative glided over pretty much everything with an equal (and equally low) amount of weight put on it, so nothing really stood out.

And I honestly didn't buy all that love stuff happening in, what, within a couple of hours since Taylor and Joanna first met? I didn't see it, I didn't feel it, I only saw it being told to me.

I might try the next one in this series, just because it was a relatively quick read, with nothing to put me off as such and to see if it gets any better (better = more to my taste) at all... the setting and the world that Green has built is intriguing enough, after all. But, meh.